Skip to content

Information for practitioners

The SEND code of practice chapter 2 gives information about how Local Authorities must provide information advice and support services for children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities and their parents / carers.  Local Authorities must arrange for children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) for whom they are responsible, as well as their parent and carers, to be provided with information and advice about matters which relate to Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, and matters relating to health and social care.


In addition, in carrying out their duties under Part 3 of the Children and Families Act 2014, local authorities must have regard to the importance of providing children and their parents and young people with the information and support necessary to participate in decisions. 

Derbyshire Information Advice and Support Service (DIASS) provides information, advice and support to parents / carers and children / young people.

The information, advice and support offered is free, confidential and impartial. It aims to support families by working together with services. 


This video from the Council for Disabled children further explains IAS services. 



DIASS advice line

Referrals are taken directly from parents / carers, children and young people.  Practitioners can support with referrals by using the website contact form. We can only take referrals from practitioners with the knowledge and permission of parents / carers.  The DIASS service provides telephone and email advice and can provide face to face and further involvement after discussion and agreement with parents / carers. 

Telephone: 01629 533668
Opening hours
9.30am - 3pm
9.30am - 3pm
9.30am - 3pm
9.30am - 3pm
9.30am - 3pm

DIASS remit does not include advice and guidance to schools, other educational settings or other agencies. We will signpost on to the correct service.